Would you like to create keepsake plaque from your special cake?
What You Need
Template or Cutter for plaque
Gumpaste mixture (50% gumpaste/50% fondant) it can be colored if you like
Straight edge wheel cutter or sharp X-acto knife
Regular Cake Smoother
Prestige Side Edger (optional)
How to Make It
I used this technique for my Gumpaste Ribbon Flowers and Lace cake, but it can be used equally well on smaller plaques such as name plates.
1. Roll out gumpaste mixture relatively thick (approximately 1/4” or 6mm) if you plan to use it a keepsake piece that will be used on a frame holder like I did.
2. Place your template on the gumpaste mixture.
3. Carefully cut the shape out holding the straight edge wheel cutter or X-acto knife perpendicularly as possible.
4. Place the plaque onto a piece of parchment paper.
5. Smooth the top surface with regular cake smoother.
6. Then take the Prestige Side Edger and smooth all outer edges (if you do not have one of these try using a pastry cutter at an upright position).
7. Finally, the finishing touch to achieve a real nice polished and professional edge is to use both smoothers simultaneously.
8. Allow it to dry thoroughly on the parchment paper. Depending the thickness and the weather this can several days to over a week.